Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

Thrift Shop Spelunking

Wikipedia calls spelunking the recreational pastime of exploring wild cave systems, which reminds me a lot of the urban sport of thrifting.

They're both messy, dingy places where you might find something fascinating hidden under the dirt. Or, it could just be exercise in sharpening your eye while practicing your way picking through crap. It's all good, right?

This summer, I've snapped up a couple of great buys at thrift stores, but I have to be honest. I spend a LOT more time shopping in vain than I ever do finding anything. Is that because Tampa thrift stores suck? Or because my fave stuff ends up elsewhere? I don't know, but you can bet I'll keep looking...just in case I strike it lucky!

Here's a gallery of my best recent thrift store finds. Enjoy!

Check out this funky brass-trimmed bamboo wastebasket turned planter! Half off during a sale weekend.

I love this Chinese vase. Only four bucks, and in perfect condition!!


This Italian ashtray caught my eye, because I love, love, love flowered ceramics. There's one ding, but hello! Fifty cents!!



Scored this non-vintage cutie at a thrift shop that benefits strays. Makes a darling (if small) boudoir wastebasket.


But wait! There's more. Collectible pottery sometimes makes its way in. Witness this honey of a Haeger!



Last, but not least, one of my fave finds, this litho print from the early 1940s in mint condition. The thrift shop owner had found it stuck behind a print of FDR! I asked if I could just buy the floral print alone, and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Goodwill provided the $3 gilded frame and glass.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails